PK - Kindergarten
"One of the greatest gifts adults can give—to their offspring and to their society—is to read to children."
IDEAS FOR READ ALOUD TO YOUR CHILD
If your child learns early to associate reading with pleasure, she is more likely to enjoy reading on her own when she is older.
1. Keep it Fun and Enjoyable –Make reading fun and enjoyable. Bring out the inner actor in yourself. Change your voice, make sounds, and laugh.
2. Hold your Child While you Read – Hold your child while you read. Does she have a favorite blanket or toy? If so, incorporate using the favorite blanket or toy in your reading. Maybe you can read to the favorite toy.
3. Interact with your Child – Give your child the opportunity to read along. Ask a lot of questions.
4. Read Books about What Interests your Child –Try to find books about things that interest your child. Take him/her to the library and she can choose him/her own books.
5. Incorporate Reading into a Daily Routine –Make reading something that your child looks forward to.
6. Repetition – Does your child like to be read the same story over and over? That’s okay. Read the same stories again and again. Your child will start enjoying the repetition and become familiar with the way stories are organized.
7. Keep Track of your Child’s Success – Use a composition notebook, use the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten iPhone or Android App; use any method that you want. Give your child praise after she listens to a certain amount of books.
8. Always Carry a Book with You – Always carry a book with you where ever you go to keep your child occupied.
1000 Books Before Kindergarten
Pip- Connected to PYP Learner Profiles - Caring
Boy who hates his disabled dog
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle (animated)
Michael Rosen performs We're Going on a Bear Hunt
Howard Wigglebottom -LISTENING helps you stay out of trouble
Owl Babies Picture Book Animation
Pete the Cat - I love My White Shoes
Feeling Happy, Feeling Safe - Saying No
Safe Touch / Unsafe Touch
This is Our House
Life Cycle of a Butterfly
Howard Wigglebottom - Anger Management